Thread: Shield vs XDs
View Single Post

Old 11-26-2012, 03:19 PM

Liked 366 Times in 193 Posts

I bought a used 2 tone XDS a few weeks ago and did some reviews and comparisons to my Shield in 9mm. The two are basically the same size. The XDS does not have nearly as much recoil as most would think. IMO, there is no need for an extension and it popped back on target every shot.

It's also very ergonomic. I actually put the smaller back strap on even though I wear XL gloves. IMO, it's more about the grip angle change than the front to back length of the grip. The trigger is also very Glock like, but better. I actually liked it quite a bit. Don't get me wrong, with the Apex sear and my DIY polish job on the striker, the Shields trigger is fantastic and the recoil is mild to say the least.

I've had zero problems with it shooting HST 230gr., PDX-1 230gr. and several brands of ball ammo. IMO, it's a winner for SA. You loose two shots over a 9mm Shield but that won't matter once SA introduces the 9mm and 40S&W versions of the XDS....and they will since the back of the supplied holster says so.

I said before that the Shield was a permanent EDC, but that's before I shot them both twice side by side and realized how nice a small/slim 45acp could be. I picked up the XDS for $400 which is only $50 more than I bought my used 9mm Shield for so the price difference wasn't an issue.

Here's some comparison pictures