View Single Post

Old 11-29-2012, 11:02 AM

Liked 9,184 Times in 3,621 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearBio View Post
While in the Service at Ft Ord, we came back from Stillwell Hall (EM Club on the beach) by hopping the fence, jay-walking PCH and hopping another fence. This brought us through the Quartermaster's area (railroad yard). The guard said "Halt", RACKED HIS SHOTGUN. " and repeated "I said, Halt!".
You were also a bunch of drunken NCOs, NOT Hayes and Komisarjevsky.

You weren't bent on robbery, rape or murder. If you had been, it's doubtful that a mere mechanical sound would have stopped you. It MIGHT have changed your plans... or not.

I doubt that the average home invader/rapist reads firearms related message boards. It's entirely possible that he doesn't "know" that certain mechanical sounds are supposed to frighten him.

Of course too, I'd bet money that a sizeable portion of people advising others to rely upon the sound of a shotgun action also advise others not to open carry because "They'll be the first one shot." I don't see how calling attention to oneself being armed in one case is more advisable than in the other. If it's bad for a potential assailant to see your holstered firearm, how is it GOOD for him to be warned that you have a shotgun?