View Single Post

Old 12-01-2012, 04:47 AM

Liked 56 Times in 44 Posts
Thumbs up

To channel Mas Ayoob, you should never remove a manufacturer-supplied safety device.... OTOH, he's generally defending LEO's over issues like this, and the agencies, presuming they or the Officer's union, are willing to stand behind them, have deeper pockets and are generally more likely to get sued anyway.

Just IMHO, if it's a good shooting from a Criminal standpoint, there's likely not going to be a problem no matter what you do. 'Course, there are Prosecutors and Judges out there who will crucify you for using a box-stock 10mm because they think it's too powerful....

Where, I think, you run a risk, is the likely Civil suit that may attach to a shooting, whether it's justified or not. These can be a lottery win for the BG, and/or his/her lawyers and/or heirs. It's quite possible that their lawyers will try to paint you as every kind of evil imaginable, regardless of the nature of the weapon anyway, but changes might make that worse.

Overall, I don't see much hazard other than the safety devices or a very light trigger.

Reminds me of a friend who was called as an expert witness. BG claimed that he couldn't have killed somebody because his gun had a broken firing pin. She borrowed a pencil from the bailiff, and sent it across the room.... Guilty....

(I think Mas is mad at me. He was complaining about problems getting guns through airport security some time back, and I suggested that he change his name. Ooops.... Good guy, though - he's worked with another buddy of mine over the years. Hope to meet him someday.)

Regards,