View Single Post

Old 12-03-2012, 06:13 AM
SWCA Member
Absent Comrade

Liked 4,671 Times in 1,606 Posts

Sometimes policies, procedures and house practices ...or a suspicious set of events that happen seem "questionable". e.g the $140,000 small frame New Haven volcanic pistol at Rock Island in December 2007. There were many more ... I'm sure we've all got auction stories of our own, however, situations like that reinforce my appreciation of a vendor or fellow member with an incredibly nice piece for sale and the longing to prefer to pay a higher price to a fellow member or with a vendor at one of the better shows, e.g. Tulsa, Baltimore, Las Vegas, etc. I very much appreciated the sealed bid auctions sponsored, in the past, by the S&WCA for the Estates of fellow members who have passed on. I purchased several very nice pieces from the Wayne Betz auction, years back. None were cheap but all were nice, and AS described and stated. There were items I pursued for decades in that auction, this was just at the blooming age or internet access in infant stages. Bids were written and mailed to Ray Cheely who was one of the coordinators. I hope my health keeps me here for a long time yet, however, that is likely the program I would advise my children to take should I pass on ... like sometime AFTER the year 2050 I hope.

Sal Raimondi, S&W CA #1300