View Single Post

Old 12-04-2012, 09:39 PM
Banned

Liked 552 Times in 245 Posts
Default What's your outdoor range like? Pics

Only two outdoor shooting ranges in my neck of the woods. I usually go to the C.W. Caywood Range in Arbor Vitae, WI on state forest land. The range is named after a fallen Vietnam veteran and is owned by the state but maintained by the local American Legion Post of the Vietnam Veterans of America.

It has six rifle stations, two for pistol, one shotgun and a small archery area. There has been talk of expanding it but nothing in the works yet.

Basic safety rules posted and paper targets only are allowed. Usually not too crowded except just before the regular gun deer season, which is now over. Most of the regulars are good folk and rules are well respected except for a zombie now and then or an irascible brass catcher. You meet some interesting people. One day I struck up a conversation with a guy in the rifle bay who had a Ruger AR-15, a couple of Glocks and two shotguns with him. "I've got more in my truck." Turns out he was wannabe military but couldn't get in so was making up for it by playing Rambo. Between he and his wife he claimed to have 50 guns. Nice guy if a bit overcooked. Let me shoot his AR-15, which was a blast.

A couple of pics follow, which I took from the pistol bay while shooting my S&W 617 from 15 yards.

What's you range like. Any good stories?

Last edited by Joewisc; 12-04-2012 at 09:57 PM.