View Single Post

Old 12-05-2012, 08:35 PM
US Veteran
Absent Comrade

Liked 16,154 Times in 7,408 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10-12 View Post
During the Cuban Missile Crisis I was issued a Victory Model S&W. I don't believe there were enough Model 15's to go around or the transition from the 1911 as issue was not yet complete. It has been so long I don't recall.

Hope this helps.

Bill

Bill-

Your memory is probably correct. I was in the AF then and usually carried a Victory Model unless I opted for a .45 auto. I remember being asked to volunteer to invade Cuba, and accepted. But nothing came of it, as the Soviets backed off. Thank God!

The Model 15 was then in short supply, with most available going to SAC and to units in Vietnam.

I graduated Air Police School in 1963, and when I got out in 1967, supply of Model 15's still wasn't universal. Some pilots headed for Vietnam were told to bring their own sidearms. Now, they aren't even allowed to do that!

I've read that M-15's are still used by the dog trainers. About everyone else with a pistol probably has the Beretta 9mm. OSI agents probably have SIG P-228's, adopted as the M-11. Some air units bought Glock 19's from unit funds.

US Navy and maybe USMC aircrew have some M-11's, but one Navy pilot recently told my son that he was issued a Beretta for two of his last three deployments.

Army CID also has the P-228, supposedly. Anyone here know?

Last edited by Texas Star; 12-05-2012 at 08:56 PM.
The Following 2 Users Like Post: