View Single Post

Old 12-06-2012, 07:56 AM

Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Star View Post
Bill-

Your memory is probably correct. I was in the AF then and usually carried a Victory Model unless I opted for a .45 auto. I remember being asked to volunteer to invade Cuba, and accepted. But nothing came of it, as the Soviets backed off. Thank God!

The Model 15 was then in short supply, with most available going to SAC and to units in Vietnam.

I graduated Air Police School in 1963, and when I got out in 1967, supply of Model 15's still wasn't universal. Some pilots headed for Vietnam were told to bring their own sidearms. Now, they aren't even allowed to do that!

I've read that M-15's are still used by the dog trainers. About everyone else with a pistol probably has the Beretta 9mm. OSI agents probably have SIG P-228's, adopted as the M-11. Some air units bought Glock 19's from unit funds.

US Navy and maybe USMC aircrew have some M-11's, but one Navy pilot recently told my son that he was issued a Beretta for two of his last three deployments.

Army CID also has the P-228, supposedly. Anyone here know?
CID carries 228s now, not sure when they started. I was OSI from 89-94 (military) and 94-99 (civilian). In the late 80's OSI carried cut down customized .45s (that's a whole story in it's self), they were just switching over to 92s in 89 when I started. We carried 92s for just a few years then switched over to 228s pretty quickly. They either carry 228s now or 229s.......I think most Federal LE that carried 228s have now moved to 229s, either in 9mm or 40S&W.....I think SIG stopped making 228s.