Thread: 30-30 loads
View Single Post

Old 12-06-2012, 09:17 PM

Liked 468 Times in 278 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tappedandtagged View Post
I'm looking for a good 30-30 load for large hogs. My last encounter yeilded a 200+- hog from my .270. The 130 grain Nosler Accubond bullet didn't fully exit. I found it sticking out 1/16" from the off side hog sheild.

My gun shoots 159 grn Rem Core Lokts well. Sub 2 MOA with the buckhorn sights. Since I will be night huntng, I will likely scope this gun and mount a good spotlight on the scope (legal on private land in AR).

I have H335 and W748 on hand. I am not opposed to getting another powder. I would like to duplicate factory velocities since the 30-30 is already a "slow" caliber. Any reccomendations for powder/bullets will be appreciated. I am leaning heavily toward jacketed bullets, but am considering cast. The bonded Speer Deep Curl line has aught my attention. Not certain if I want to deviate from the standard 150 grain bullet either.

The rifle is a mid '70s pre-saftey 336 passed down from my father. I have yet to harvest any animal with it.

So, suggestions on powders? Bullets? Any pics of recovered bullets would be much appreciated.
So lets see, you're standing there examining a dead hog and you decide you need a different cartridge and bullet?

If you want more penetration, slow down the bullet.

If you want more fun tracking at night use 30cal hardcast (seriously, it is a really bad choice for anything other than drilling little holes).

If you want BANG flop, then use a cheaper 130gr from your 270 and run it at 3000+fps. They don't have to penetrate very far to turn the insides of a piggy to mush.

I think the Speer 150gr FP is a good 30-30 bullet and you can run it at 2400fps from 20" tube.

My humble opinion of course