Thread: 30-30 loads
View Single Post

Old 12-06-2012, 11:02 PM

Liked 110 Times in 67 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dla View Post
So lets see, you're standing there examining a dead hog and you decide you need a different cartridge and bullet?

If you want more penetration, slow down the bullet.

If you want more fun tracking at night use 30cal hardcast (seriously, it is a really bad choice for anything other than drilling little holes).

If you want BANG flop, then use a cheaper 130gr from your 270 and run it at 3000+fps. They don't have to penetrate very far to turn the insides of a piggy to mush.

I think the Speer 150gr FP is a good 30-30 bullet and you can run it at 2400fps from 20" tube.

My humble opinion of course
The dead hog was taken with my deer rifle while I was deer hunting. I want to use my 30-30 for hunting hogs at night instead of my AR that I usually take. I don't want to go out specifically for hogs with my bolt action .270. It is too long and heavy for a lot of still hunting. And not nearly as maneuverable as my 30-30.

My .270 did a fine job and I love the gun for what it is, a stand gun for open fields or shooting lanes. My 30-30 is better suited for the quick paced spot (or usually hear) and stalk in the brush of hog hunting. I used to use my AR, but since seeing that my .270 wouldn't do a pass through shot, I have decided to up my caliber choice. And I was considering hard cast for the "break the shoulder bones" effect, but have since decided to use a bonded jacketed.