Thread: Nano vs Shield
View Single Post

Old 12-07-2012, 01:28 PM
US Veteran

Liked 1,356 Times in 451 Posts

After my first couple of flawless range sessions with the Nano I really liked it, especially it's size. Many on the Beretta Forum reported FTF malfunctions, and being mindful of these I watched it closely. The little Nano functioned perfectly with everything I shot through it, I was impressed with it's accuracy and liked the trigger. Then out of nowhere these hard to clear malfunctions started occurring. I now refer to the Nano as a flawed design and that flaw is the lack of an external slide lock. The FTF or FTE malfunctions I was getting the fired case wasn't ejected and the followup round had nowhere to go. This is the worse type of malfunction to get IMO and is hard to clear quickly since you can't manually lock the slide to the rear. If Beretta ever upgrades the design they should incorporate an external slide stop. They advertise the pistol being super thin without one, but the addition wouldn't make that much difference. Look at the Shield or Springfields XDs, they both have a slide lock and are just as thin. Any pistol can malfunction but it should be easy to clear quickly, the Nano isn't. To bad as it's otherwise a nice pistol, I just won't be carrying one anymore.
With concealed carry now in all states (except the Land of Lincoln) the market for these small semiautos has been lucrative. We have a lot of good choices out there, that said there is a good reason for the recurring popularity of the J frame.