View Single Post

Old 12-09-2012, 04:57 PM

Liked 771 Times in 368 Posts
Default Cylinder Lock-Up on a K-frame

I have owned several S&W revolvers, and feel like I'm fairly familiar with how much rotational play they should have at full lock-up(i.e. with the trigger held all the way back). I also have one Colt revolver, and am familiar with the "bank vault" lockup that these have.

My most recent acquisition was a 64-5, a DAO agency trade-in gun that looks rough but seems to have been shot very little. I have shot it a little bit-I put one cylinder full of wadcutters through it, plus a couple of cylinders of white box FMJs and one or two cylinders of Remington +P hollowpoints. I didn't have any trouble at all with any spitting lead or anything else that would indicate a timing problem.

Two of the chambers(right next to each other) on this gun give what feels to me to be a normal amount of rotational play. Two of them(across from each other) give very little rotational play. Two of them(also next to each other) give no rotational play at all at full lock up-they feel like the cylinder on my Colt.

Is this something that I should be concerned about? I've always heard that S&Ws should be a little bit loose, and can have problems if they're not.

Thanks,
Ben