View Single Post

Old 12-11-2012, 01:17 AM

Liked 78 Times in 51 Posts

Sounds like you got plenty of advice here, especially for a new handloader. I suspect that the primers were not seated firmly enough. A handprimer is a good method, but sometimes it is easy to go a little light on one and not really notice it. I used a Lee for about 20 years before I started doing most of my loading on a progressive (Hornady Pro-Jector, then a pair of L-N-Ls).

I have always found Win primers to be among the most reliable, and have used many cases of them over the years in an attempt to prove it so.

I have a S&W 625-8 that somebody tried to IDPA-to-death, i.e. get the lightest and most unreliable trigger pull ever, which of course resulted in the lightest hammer strike you could actually have that would probably fail to dent tinfoil. And extended length firing pin, a real mainspring, and a correct tension screw fixed most of that, but it still misfired sometimes in DA (not SA) with Win primers. On a suggestion, I started cleaning the primer pockets for them and that helped (Federal primers also worked well). Lesson learned: primers sometimes "feel" well seated but crud in the primer pocket means they may not be so. A second strike would set them off. It's not necessary to do a primer pocket clean if you make sure to seat primers firmly, I doubt many of us actually do unless it is for that special "magic bullet" hunting load, but is something to consider if you are only loading 100 at a time or wish to make absolutely certainly they have the best chance of seating properly and firing when they should.