View Single Post

Old 12-11-2012, 09:28 PM
SWCA Member

Liked 740 Times in 256 Posts

Ok, I will fess up.

I took my last international bonus pay and picked up this one. It is a 2013 GT/CS or California Special automatic. My wife said she wanted a sports car which we never owned. We were more the Camry, Highlander, S-10 type of family for years and she wanted something more fun. When the time came she backed up a bit and said, well its your bonus you pick so I got this one.

Now she drove it for a few weeks while I was on a business trip and when I get back, I find I really love it as a commuter car to and from work. A lot more fun then the hybrid!

What got me really thinking about this is my wife said for christmas she wanted a red convertible. So yesterday we put money down on another 2013 Mustang GT/CS in Red and a convertible.

Now I am really committed to these cars for at least the next 7 to 10 years and I wanted to know what to watch for. We are both in our late 40's so we don't race them, don't burnout or do anything but just commute back and forth to work and the like. I find it a great car just to cruise to the office and back in. Nice easy to drive, 20 to 22 MPG on the commute. It actually does better than the Highlander on the commute.

The big 5.0 liter are a lot of fun though. When you hit the gas, well you go. The traction control works well on wet roads if you are careful. I find backing it up and parking still a challenge but I will sort it out eventually.

So what I read above is that the cars are reasonably well made, no systemic problems noted so far and if you don't try to race/hot rod them I am probably in great shape.

I will say the California Specials are great styling. I have never owned a Ford before and this one really struck me.