Thread: reloading a 9mm
View Single Post

Old 12-12-2012, 04:51 AM

Liked 126 Times in 92 Posts

Welcome to the Forum, really great info to be found here. I load for 9mm too and as some of the others have said, it's one of the cheaper rounds to buy "preloaded". You need to be shooting alot to make it worth it. I go thru about 300 rounds a month myself. The kids love to shoot and the wife is a good shot too. I also reload for .380acp, which I use the same powder for. It helps to offset the cost of powder if you can use it for various calibers. If your not shooting that much, buy a box or two of factory ammo. Save your brass, it doesn't go bad sitting on a shelf. You can build up you brass supply as you build your know how on reloading.
Do you have any friends that reload? If so, ask them if you can try out their set-up. It would be ideal to try several different companies equipment out if you can. If you don't like it, your not going to use it. Start out with a simpler press. It's easy to make a mistake and someone can get hurt. The single stage and turret presses are a good place to start. You can watch what your doing with each round. If reloading is for you, then you can move up to something bigger, badder, faster(read more money). The Lee 4-hole turret is where I started and it acts as a single stage or an auto-indexing turret. You can get Lee products at a good price at FSreloading.com. You can get (complete) kits there.
Like Geno44 said, this is a life time hobby. Once you get going,it's hard to stop.