View Single Post

Old 12-12-2012, 12:08 PM
SWCA Member

Liked 1,348 Times in 559 Posts
Default Why Oversized Throats?

I have certainly enjoyed reading through all of the forum posts on this subject, and will continue to do so. From a marksmanship perspective, I am primarily interested in the accuracy of my hits, especially if I have bought a revolver for which no available rear sight adjustment will provide me with a tight 'in the bull's eye hit' pattern. Before I bought my first Model 25 I searched the Internet for information regarding potential problems, issues, recalls, etc. If you have checked the prices lately, this makes perfect sense! Caveat emptor! I also called Smith & Wesson customer service about this issue before I made my first purchase. As you might expect, while the issue with the throat size was not intentional, no one really knows the extent of the problem. My guesses, in addition to the previously posted possible explanations, are that someone in production made the error or that the barrel parts used in production were machined out of tolerance and it was not detected prior to shipment. Most reloaders know how to properly correct for this problem. My LGS people have told me that the correct diameter for a .45 ACP bullet is .451 and a .45 Colt bullet is .453, +/- a few thousandths. as stated in handejector's posts. There are three methods which can be used to make this determination 1) pin gauges, 2) calipers, and 3) .45 bullets, referred to by those who have the actual experience as a 'field expedient'. john traveler is absolutely correct! Obtain one of each type bullet from a reloader and take it with you to the LGS or gun show. Before you make an offer to the seller, place the appropriate bullet in the throat. If it does not pass through, you've found a great revolver. If it goes through the barrel like corn through a goose, pass on the opportunity. Just as other forum members have said - I have several Model 25s and none are for sale!

Last edited by Marine Corps Air; 12-12-2012 at 12:48 PM.