View Single Post

Old 12-12-2012, 12:28 PM

Liked 82 Times in 52 Posts

There is no reason you can't accomplish what you are thinking about with cast bullets. I keep some plated bullets for .38 Special on hand for those times when I might want to use an indoor range. The lube on cast bullets causes most of the smoke and the plated ones minimize that.

I've had good results with .38 Special wadcutters from Missouri Bullet Co. They make up their alloys with the pressure of the cartridge in mind and they should be right up your alley. Fast shipping and good guys to deal with.

If I want to use semiwadcutters for some warmer loads in .44 Special/.44 Magnum I only use flat base designs. These have given me much less problem with leading than the bevel base style. I get these from Rim Rock Bullets and they are in the 15 BHN range; again, good folks to deal with. I cast a few .38 semiwadcutters with a flat base from time to time, but the older I get the less desire I have to slave over a hot pot of lead.

While a bit more expensive than cast bullets, some of the most accurate wadcutter loads I have assembled in .38 Special have been with the Hornady and Speer hollow base swaged bullets. Out of necessity due to the swaging process these are quite soft, but as long as you stick with target type loads the accuracy is excellent. If necessary while shooting any lead bullets, an occasional swipe with a little bronze wool wrapped around a copper brush can keep leading from being a big problem.

If contemplating using cast bullets, whether you make or purchase them, I highly recommend reading through some of the excellent articles here:

Glen E. Fryxell, Cast bullets and firearm information and history
The Following 4 Users Like Post: