View Single Post

Old 12-13-2012, 01:42 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnielson View Post
Hello all,

I've been doing a good bit of research on this issue over the last couple of weeks. I'm here in IL, where as you know, we are not permitted to concealed carry at all. It appears, however, that a lot of people are carrying their guns in "fanny packs" or other enclosed cases (anything made for gun carry that buckles, zips, etc) due to some seemingly very clear language in the state laws.

The written law states that an individual can carry a firearm "anywhere in their vehicle or on their
person as long as the firearm is unloaded and
enclosed in a case, firearm carrying box,
shipping box, or other container."

It goes on to state that firearms can be transported as long as they are
1. Unloaded and,
2. Enclosed in a case, and
3. By persons who have a valid FOID card.

They define a "case" as anything designed to house a gun or bow that can be completely closed with a zipper, buckle, tie, etc.

Basically, the language would seemingly mean that as long as the mag is not in the gun (gun and mag are separated), and the gun is inside something that closes and is made for carry. A key here would seem to be that the written law makes NO mention of any criteria for restriction to carry to and from a destination, shooting range, or any such detail. More and more people are doing this, and I'm unable to find any reports of arrests or issues.

I'm a very responsible and cautious individual - I am not considering buying a case and carrying tomorrow. I am exploring the issue to see what's what, and if it is something worth thinking about. If it is in fact a legal way to carry and defend myself/family...

Here are links to 2 documents put out by the state:
http://www.isp.state.il.us/docs/1-154.pdf
http://www.isp.state.il.us/docs/transgun0-000.pdf

I'd be curious and interested to know what the good folks here on the forum think. Any Illinoisians here that might care to weigh-in, share experiences? Would especially crave the input of any LEOs from IL or anywhere, for that matter.

Thank you all ahead of time for your feedback. Hopefully will lead to a productive discussion.

Dan
Here is the Link to a site on what you need to know. Also a PDF file to print and carry with you encase an officer doesn't know your rights. This way if you are arrested after showing him or her the letter and a foid card. You can then sure the officer, according to this site. I printed 2 copies
Illinois Carry | Conceal Carry