View Single Post

Old 12-13-2012, 09:25 AM

Liked 4,632 Times in 1,190 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by whw View Post
I'm going on memory, and that is a risky thing to do for a man of my age-- but here it goes.

Several years ago I watched a police cruiser video of a South Carolina Highway Patrolman in a gunfight with a drug runner. The bad guy survived a total of 6 hits from the officer's .357 revolver. He returned fire from his pocket .22 (or .25) handgun. The round entered the inner aspect of the officer's arm, about midway along the bicep. The bullet struck the bone and traveled into the chest cavity, severing his aorta. I could hear the officer dying as he called dispatch for help. He was dead before backup arrived.

There are several lessons to be learned from this horrid event. One is that the bullet must destroy, or disrupt something that the body considers vital to its existence. Eliminating blood flow to the brain, or destroying the central nervous system seem to be the most effective way to stop an individual.

If you have a round that will penetrate deeply enough to reach something vital, then accuracy is the most significant variable that should be of concern to you.

Good Luck,
whw
WHW, I also viewed that video during a training session about 15 years ago. The perp was a rather large guy. Not a drug runner but a DUI suspect, IIRC. The weapon was a .22 magnum deringer. Six shots from the Troopers .357 hit the mark. The perp was down and the trooper was standing near the back of his cruiser calling for backup when the perp got off the fatal shot while laying on the ground.

Just goes to show that no guarantees with any caliber.

Last edited by KLYDE; 12-13-2012 at 09:43 AM.