View Single Post

Old 12-13-2012, 09:29 AM

Liked 4,673 Times in 1,599 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old cop View Post
Lots of excellent info here but I can only go on personal experience. During my 30 yr. LEO career I had the unfortunate experience to be involved in more than one duty related shooting, every time using the .38 +P FBI round. It just works, but shot placement is king and do not count on a one shot stop, that is pretty much a myth.

In retirement I continue to carry a J frame .38 w/confidence, you could do a lot worse.
And here's just another example of widely-varying results. My 'similar screen name retired brother badge wearer' had the experience he related. I had another. We were both in LE for 30 years.

In 1982 I was involved in an incident where a deranged individual that I was serving an arrest warrant on attacked me with a butcher knife. Quickly deciding that I really wanted to go home that day, I did my best to not let him succeed. But, I had nowhere to go, as there was nothing but a flight of stairs behind me.
Duty weapon was the S&W M66 4" and the issued/approved round was the S&W-brand (yep, THAT dates me) .38 Spl. +P 125 gr. JHP.
Two rounds in the sternum had all the effect of tossing cotton balls at him. Two more followed. Still coming. (yes, it was indeed like a bad dream...) As he turned slightly, #5 struck left bicep.
I was getting worried.
#6, and 'last' I figured, was just over bridge-of-nose.
That was the only one that worked and ended the attack.

I found out much later that inside the rented room was a loaded Mauser 98k 8mm rifle.
Also, many years later I got a chance to see the recovered bullets that were retrieved during autopsy. They were all perfectly expanded and could have been in an ammo advertisement. #6 was partially fragmented.

SO - for many years I would not carry a .38 Spl. on 'my time'. I violated policy and toted either a .357 or 1911 .45.

My life is much less exciting now, and yes, I do carry a .38 occasionally, with Speer GD's.

There's very few hard and fast facts about what will work and with what regularity. Just too many variables.
SWCA #2275

Last edited by Old Corp; 12-13-2012 at 09:33 AM.
The Following 5 Users Like Post: