View Single Post

Old 12-14-2012, 04:49 PM
US Veteran

Liked 3,812 Times in 476 Posts
Default New grips and Safariland holster for 1975 vintage 29-2 (pics)....

I posted a couple of weeks ago about my latest acqusition, a 4" Model 29-2 that had languished in a pawn shop for over three years before they droppped the price into the "reasonable" category. It had Hogue rubber grips, more than a little finish wear, definately in the shooter category.

Since my last post, I've put over three hundred rounds through it, mostly cast lead hand loads, 240 grain home cast bullets at 850 feet per second, and some 240 grain jacketed bullets at 1250 FPS. It is a great shooter, very accurate and fun to shoot. I've also been carrying it as my defensive handgun, and doing some hiking with it. I definately feel well armed....

I found some N frame service grips and a vintage Safariland holster for it, and a "No Gunsmithing" lanyard ring, it slips over the grip pin on the frame and is sandwiched between the grips and frame. I like a lanyard on my handguns while hiking and canoeing, as I'm obsesssvie about dropping a revolver in the water while canoeing or losing one while hiking.

A before pic:

New service grips and lanyard ring. I know "Football Targets" are the proper grips, but I couldn't afford them, these service grips were all I could afford at $36:

Vintage Safariland holster, very comfortable and secure, concealable with the right length jacket, another $35 purchase:

This will be my carry gun at least for the Winter, if I can find an Inside The Waistband holster before Summer, I might carry it then.

Model 29's, great guns!
The Following 8 Users Like Post: