View Single Post

Old 12-18-2012, 08:02 PM

Liked 528 Times in 228 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MXP View Post
I am from a contry where it is not allowed to carry a gun or use a gun for home defense. I can only use a gun on a range (from .22 up to .357 for handguns). It takes from 3 weeks to 3 months to get a permission for a handgun. I can have the guns and ammunition at home locked in a safe. I should have very good reason to use a handgun against an intruder. I have to prove that this was the only way I would not be killed by the intruder......more or less. That is how it is here. Because an intruder knows that he is relative safe it is rare that it ends up violent. Normally they just want money and they do not want to kill people. It is very rare a person just want to kill.

But.....how often have you needed your "carry gun" for self defense? .....the importance of carry a gun for self defense.....it may be "overrated" compared to other risks here in life?

If you use a gun for self defense.....and maybe kill a person.....how good reasons should you have? .....I guess such a case will end up in the court? .....for an intruder in your house....is that a good reason.....even if he is unarmed? ....are there any rules for how to use the gun....e.g. first step point the gun a the person....and tell him to leave....and if not....a warning shot......and if not...then a hit-shot?

If you draw a gun...in a public area...without fire it......will such a case normally end up i court? ....and it will be evaluated if this was ok to draw the gun?
Your questions are difficult to give clear cut answers to because each State in the USA has its own laws. Some states don't allow Concealed Carry, most states recognize permits from a number of other States. Some states have a duty to retreat, some do not. Some have castle doctrines, some do not. Some are open carry states, some are not.

In most states one cannot use deadly force to protect property, but Texas is an exception. Any time someone uses a handgun in defense, legal proceedings could happen.

That being said, in Texas if someone is breaking in a door to get into a persons home whether he is armed or not the homeowner may use deadly force to stop the intruder. But after he is shot, one does not have the right to continue shooting once the threat is stopped.

In some states one might be compelled to retreat to the far corner of their house to retreat from the intruder, and are duty to retreat states. That used to be the law in Tennessee.

As far as how often does one really need his concealed weapon, if you carry it for 20 years and it saves your life one,
I would reckon it would be worth it. As for most criminals
not wanting to do anything except take money, if there
is an intruder breaking in, you don't have a good way to determine what his intentions are. So for me, if the deadbolt strong door is being knocked down, I would stop the intruder at the door coming in. I have never been to your country,
Denmark, but I have been to Norway many years ago.