View Single Post

Old 12-18-2012, 08:36 PM
US Veteran

Liked 17,127 Times in 5,143 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kisportolt View Post
Sandy Hook had recently installed a state-of-the-art security system where everyone needed to be buzzed in. So he went through a window... No security system is perfect, just like no answer to this thread is going to be.

Recently Michigan legistlation passed the "right to work" bill and there was a large amount of upheaval. Because of that, my employer released a statement with precautionary plans for different scenarios (bombs, shooters, etc) and most of it was "watch for thigns that seem odd, go with your gut, get out of there and call 911". We are not allowed to be armed at work, but are very much a part of the public and have angry visitors at times. Taking schools out of the debate, what do other work places do to prep for these situations?
Most businesses are not well prepared either. Access control (keyless entry) is very expensive. So quite often only major corporations can afford it.

I've done work at banks, pharmaceutical companies, police departments, schools etc.....
If done right you can't even get in the front door. And once in the front door, quite often there is another door that is locked. And most of the time there are cameras recording everything.

I am not sure how the shooter gained access at Sandy Hook but one radio report said that he was let in the door by the Principal. Whether he did walk in the front door or crawl through a window, safety procedures were not followed.

Obama was right. We are not taking care of our children. But gun control is not the answer. I would gladly give $5 more per new gun purchase towards increasing the security of our schools.