View Single Post

Old 12-18-2012, 10:08 PM

Liked 2,358 Times in 1,117 Posts

I think the key is that any security measure can can be beaten. Doors with locks, cameras, buzzed-in only systems, they can all be beat. Easily.

So we use them as a partial preventive measure. Just because you have locked doors doesn't mean you can let your guard down.

If an intruder gets in you need to have a plan. Hiding is a good plan until you are found. If an intruder gets past the front door and into a room, you better have a plan B.

I am pushing for a response cabinet, like a fire extinguisher cabinet, accessible to trained personnel, that contains the tools that they can use to save lives. Perhaps a taser, tear gas, smoke bombs, hand cuffs, a gun, rifle, maybe a shotgun that shoots bean bags if you want a less lethal choice.

If you had such a cache of tools, there is chance that someone in the school would be able to use them. If only one life were saved the response cabinet would be extremely valuable.

What would have happened if someone threw a couple of high density smoke bombs in the room that school shooter were in? So thick he couldn't see? He would have run out, and into what? Perhaps an armed Principal or an ex-cop custodian.

What I'm saying is at least make the tools for defense available so the poor victims have a fighting chance....