View Single Post

Old 12-20-2012, 10:49 AM

Liked 2,526 Times in 1,043 Posts

I'm not sure that we need to "study" the problem until we know the motivation of predatory mass shooters. The point is to prevent them from carrying out their sick plans, not to plumb their psyches. I doubt we will ever fully understand evil, whether it is someone kicking a puppy, a suicide bomber, or a school shooter. The issue is stopping them.

A minimum approach would be to harden the target and provide on-site security. Translation--make the building harder for a shooter to access, and qualified armed individuals that could deter a shooter and respond promptly and forcefully to an event. That's essentially what the Israelis did after Maalot.

If we're not careful we could well end up with a federal "SSA"--"School Security Administration" and the equivalent of another cumbrous TSA doing kabuki theater. If something needs doing it should be done at the state and local level. Properly screened volunteers could work out well. Sorry, I don't think arming teachers is a particularly good idea. Too much PC and wrong mindset.

As for how "aggressive" security people should be, that's a matter of opinion. Maybe we don't need someone standing around with an M4, but frankly I don't have a problem with it. Fortunately (or unfortunately) we can get used to anything. But for God's sake, we can't do nothing.

With luck my grandson will be home schooled...
The Following 6 Users Like Post: