View Single Post

Old 12-21-2012, 02:14 AM

Liked 803 Times in 419 Posts
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter123 View Post
I would advise you to spend a bit of time shooting it from a benchrest to see if the sights will zero properly.

BTW, in benchrest shooting it's best to rest your hands on a sandbag, this will allow you to nearly duplicate your recoil management when shooting offhand. In addition, any revolver with a one piece barrel should always be shot with the barrel free of any contact with a support, supporting the barrel will impede it's "ring" and just destroy group size. The only exception to this rule are the 22 caliber revolvers, the barrel is so massive in relation to the power of the caliber that it's basically inert.

If you can get the sights to zero properly, there isn't any point in sending it in, S&W will only say it's within specification and send it back to you. As for the appearance, it's a HANDGUN, not some work of Art. It's meant to fire bullets accuratey, not become some object that you spend all your time looking at.

Yeah, I find this quest for perfection a bit baffling at times. However, I suspect that somewhere out there someone is underneath their automobile waxing the exhaust system because they ran through a puddle and if they found the muffler cocked by 1/2 a degree they'd probably want to return the whole car. Bottomline, if it bother you that much, don't look at it, just go out and shoot the gun.
Detroit Auto worker Huh? Guvmint Motors? If I didn't look at my guns, I would buy Rugers,,,but my Smiths, they better be purty at the prices I pay. I did buy a 629 Classic Hunter once in an ice storm, I noticed the rear sight was canted to the right, but assumed the sight was bent? I had a 627 at home so took it anyway, should have said no. Replaced the sight still canted to the right, called Smith, oh thats not likely, OK! Sent it in, well we tried to fix it, [milled improperly], but we really messed it up, and had to replace the frame, worst crane to frame fit I have ever seen on a Smith and Wesson. It was brand spankin new, took it back to my dealer and traded for a used 29 Classic DX, it remains to this day one of the most beautifull accurate revolvers I ever owned. My shooting partner, and best friend hounded me until I traded him for a Colt Combat Commander, so if anyone has a 29 Classic DX for sale or trade pm me. I expect outstanding quality from my Smiths, yes I have been dissapointed in the last few years, but when I pick up an old Smith, hand fit by the Master Gun Smiths of the past, now that is ART WORK. That front sight is engineered to stand straight up at 0 degrees, if it doesn't thats poor "execution". If you aren't cursed with an "eye", then you won't notice it, and it will be good enough for guvment work.

Now your advice about shooting is what its all about, but we all expect better from Smith and Wesson, don't we fellas? Billy