View Single Post

Old 12-21-2012, 12:59 PM
Absent Comrade

Liked 7,201 Times in 3,064 Posts

You do it like its done in courthouses, etc. I did security work for over 35 years. You have a armed guard sitting at a desk at the entrance. You have to walk past him. You either show him a pass or he has a list, knows you or whatever. Some have detectors like a flyway gate. Depends on how big the place is and what they think you need. Security would vary from a retired cop or farmer sitting in his car in front of a one room school house (if they still exist) to uniformed officers walking the halls.
Security can be anything from a qualified teacher packing to the above. The way to decide is the school board has meetings with a local police chief or security experts to advise them. The cheapest way is to have volenteers that pass some type qualification standard and background checks. You would have a roster system set up to get ahold of your volenteers to scheduel. I would recommend maybe two half days a week per person if you had enough people.
Barring that, how about that stymulus money the potus is trying to give away? If he actualy wants to pay guards besides I am sure it would create a lot of jobs.
The school would need a safe where the guard could get stored rifle or shotgun or maybe vest if need be.
The system could be flexable for everything from volenteers to paid officers at large schools.
Once it was announced that ever school had security odds are few if any would be attacked.
Now the flaw with this idea is that good security works too well. You have no way of knowing of how many nuts you have thwarted by just being there. After long periods of nothing happening you are taken less serious. Expendses will be cut back and volenteers will feel less needed unless something actualy happens. Thats the nature of the beast.

Last edited by feralmerril; 12-21-2012 at 01:11 PM. Reason: add info.