View Single Post

Old 12-23-2012, 12:45 PM

Liked 119 Times in 73 Posts

Haven't been on here for quite awhile and loved seeing your post. My very first S&W was a 6.5" 57 in the presentation box I bought for myself as a grad present for 225.00 IMS. I could have bought a 4" model 29 for twice the money. It was not the best FIRST handgun to own as I developed a bad flinch from it. I now have 8 .41 mags, going from a no IL 3" model 657 to a 8 3/8" model 57 and one model 58. All are no IL's as I saw with my own eyes a model 686 lock itself up 4 years ago.

My 6.5" original is my sentimental favorite. I carried it in Kodiak and Sitka Alaska with some 220 gr. LSWC SSK handloads that J.D. Jones loaded up for me for bears. I watched him shoot groundhogs as a kid with his wildcats on a neighbors farm and he got me into a .375 JDJ barrel for my Contender. Great carry combo as I shot a nice Billy with the .375 from 125 paces and it was good for one shot on a charging bear. That's all you'll get from watching them run! Goat meat is delicious and you have to try it. I carried the two in Alaska after a couple of years as I got tired of humping mountains and going through alder patches with my Ruger .338 Win Mag who's weight made climbing hard and it's barrel getting caught in brush constantly. That 57 has now taken 52 deer since 1976. Last one was a 20 yard head shot and it was lights out with no meat damage. Them hard cast bullets WILL shoot stem to stern on a deer, but I use them sparingly. Had to send it back for maintenance as it was severely out of time but is a very accurate revolver to this day. I notched the grip on it for every deer.

If I was to pick just ONE .41 mag it would be a 4". Can do just about anything, is easy to pack (I like crossdraw or shoulder holsters) and my two are extremely accurate like the rest. The 8 3/8 is a tack driver but not made for carry IMO. Stainless is the better finish for rough usage, but I'm partial to blue. If you maintain it well the finish holds up well and the wear marks are beauty marks IMO.

My favorite to carry is my 3" 657. I keep it loaded with Speer 210 gr. Gold Dots when out hiking, hunting or camping. Lose a little velocity but they will take down a deer with ease and would do the same to the diots out there who might do you harm. I also pack it in the winter with them Gold Dots when everyone is bundled up.

Is true ammo is not as readily available, but Speer and Buffalo Bore make some terrific ammo for it. Georgia Arms also has loads for it. For less than $200.00 one can buy a RCBS reloading set and start homebrewing their own. Great wintertime hobby and makes for cheap and finely tuned ammo.

I would NOT trade or sell any of my .41's for a .44. Owned four .44's and my .41's can do everything they can do with the right bullet/load and a good accurate shot without the recoil. I need to update my pics but here are a few of my .41's. A round that never took off but is one kick butt caliber and with more folks like yourself the manufacturers may take notice!

Merry Christmas and good luck on the .41!

My 3" no IL 657. Puma stilletto is a mini.

Rest of the tribe but missing a few (4).

Me in my younger day having fun. Have 2741 hours flying and jumping out of Coast Guard helos. Saw most of Alaska and the Carribean in them. The best job I was ever paid for!

Please stay safe and join the NRA in beating Obeyme and his cronies from taking our guns!

Last edited by Sportsterguy; 12-23-2012 at 01:05 PM.
The Following User Likes This Post: