View Single Post

Old 12-24-2012, 10:09 AM

Liked 119 Times in 73 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by colt_saa View Post
OK, your "old fashioned"

657s were made in 2 5/8", 3" and two different 4" barrels (heavy and MG).

Model 57s were offered in 4" blue or nickel. I have a blue, but no individual
picture of it. It is here in an old 41 Magnum group photo.

There is also a 4" model 57 Mountain Gun, but it has a lock.

Then if you are looking to carry all day, there are the 4" 357PD and 2 1/2"
357NG. Being newer designs these also are shipped with the lock

Sorry that I can not provide any model 58 images, they just ever interested
me as firearms
That collection amazes me every time sir! What's with the Colt and the hogleg 686? Both are lookers and one of my recent .41 buys was a hogleg 657 like yours with an unfluted cylinder. It is the MOST acurate S&W I've ever owned. Another addition was a no IL MG. Great carry revolver but has some snap to it.

Too bad you don't have a 58 for that fine collection. It would compliment your others very nicely. I had a beautiful and pristine nickel 58 that I sold like an idiot up in Alaska. I carried it in a hoster I stitched to my rubber boots for easy access if a bear got to me before I could draw my 57 or get a shot off with the .338 Ruger Contender. It never rusted or suffered any damage being exposed completely to the elements and it took a few complete dunks when crossing some small rivers. The day I sold it I had sellers remorse as not only was it a shooter but I had the original box and fixins. I ended up replacing it two years ago with a blued model off of a buddy on here and am glad I did. It shoots my 210 LSWC's loaded with 7.0-7.5 grains of Unique dead on. The Gold Dots shoot 2 inches low and left. I bought 50 Gold Dot bullets and with the Unique 7.0 load it shoots dead on, so it has to be the powder and is much easier on the hand. After the first cylinder from the 58 with them beautiful magnas (IMO) I swapped them out for a set of full coverage Pacs that I always use for hard kickers. Much better on the hand! I don't shoot it much but do love wiping it down on my monthly wipedowns.

That is one great collection and one day I may catch up to you if you quit buying them up and my daughters stop having Grandbabies (We spoil them). I definately need a carbine for my collection as it would make a fantastic deer rifle and I've a fantastic combo.

Stay safe and Merry Chistmas to you and the rest of you .41 mag fans!

Last edited by Sportsterguy; 12-24-2012 at 10:15 AM.