Thread: Thumb safety
View Single Post

Old 12-24-2012, 05:51 PM
SWCA Member

Liked 6,739 Times in 2,624 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loffmar77 View Post
I'm going to purchase a M&P .40 Compact in the very near future. This will be my first handgun, I've fired many but never owned one. Everything instilled in me tells me to get the one with the thumb safety. Every gun I've ever owned has had a manual safety and every handgun I've ever fired has had one. I'm just not sure how I safe I will feel if I don't get that option.

Will I notice the saftey sticking into me if I carry on the waist at five o' clock?

Non thumb safety models are ready to fire once the round is in the chamber, correct? What prevents accidental firing? What prevents someone from unknowingly firing it" God forbid if my 5 year ever got a hold of it... (yes, it will be in a bedside safe with ammo close by in another secure device.)

...I just don't want to regret my choice, and non of the shops around here carry a thumb safety model.
Just like a revolver, the M&P pistol is safe from accidental firing as a result of being dropped or jarred. It has automatic internal safety devices to prevent firing as a result of being dropped or jarred.

The M&P is, therefore, just as safe as a modern double action revolver if unmodified and in proper operating condition.

As you have already surmised, however, the pistol does not know the difference and if the trigger is pulled by you or anyone or anything, it WILL discharge if there is a round in the chamber. The thumb safety certainly provides an extra layer of security against such unintended discharge.

You must feel confident in your choice, and therefore, do what makes you feel confident.

If you feel you need more than the internal and automatic safeties, then by all means, get the thumb safety model.

Last edited by shawn mccarver; 12-24-2012 at 06:00 PM.
The Following User Likes This Post: