View Single Post

Old 12-24-2012, 07:13 PM

Liked 548 Times in 311 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by supplier View Post
I drove 70 miles today to a store that had a FS M&P45 in stock (not the Pro version, which another ½” longer). I wanted something powerful for the times I’m taking pictures out in the wild at night, but I really did not like the trigger on M&P45 – what a shame on S&W! Given that M&P45 has only 10 round mag - these guns should not be affected by any changes in the gun law anyway.

I thought I’ll do more research before I’ll put down $580 before tax. I’m also afraid that adding a light/laser on this beast will make it only bag-carry concealable. LOL. Something to think about if I want the gun to carry outside in Florida....

Bigger gun will be harder to conceal but also slower drawing and with possibility of 10 rounds limit in the nearest future I think the future of FS M&P9 will be HD/range and not a CCW.

In any case I’m also asking for an advice here.

If I’ll get the full size M&P45 I need/want a strobe light and possibly a laser, as with strobe I don’t think night sights will work at all. So how to conceal that monster? Presumably I will not carry it in public, but I do not want to have any problems with the law. Any park ranger can create bunch of problems if the gun will be exposed or semi-exposed… any advices?

As a side note, As I had bunch of 9mm ammo with me, I rented similarly sized FS M&P9 and shoot through around 2+ mags. It is a pleasure to hold and shoot the gun, but the front sight did not have the white dot (rental gun) and I was not impresses with my results…
I have been a big fan of the M&P 45 full sized pistol since I bought mine in 2009. Its probably the "pro" version you're talking about with a 4.5 inch barrel rather than the 4 inch. I originally wanted the FS with the 4 inch, but ended up with what I got cause I wouldn't wait, yet haven't been disappointed. Not sure what you're used to in terms of trigger, but mine hasn't been what I would call horrible - maybe it was better than others but I don't know cause I'm about the only one I know carrying one. My experience was with Glocks, and yes the M&P trigger is heavier than a Glock trigger, but not overly so.

I don't know about trying to conceal a pistol with the laser/light attached, other than it does add bulk, and that is the reason I still rely on a hand held white light for CCW. As far as draw speed, I'm pretty consistent going from the holster to a two handed hold to a "scoring" hit on a target at 7-yards in less than 1.5 seconds with that pistol. I can put one into a torso target in less than a second from the hip at 5 and in. All from a Milt Sparks SSII. Having to pull a concealment garmet away to clear the gun adds time in all cases. Add movement during the draw to disorient your attacker. In any case, the M&P 45 is a decent handling pistol, so speed, even from the longest slide verion is relative to the amount of practice you put into it.