View Single Post

Old 12-26-2012, 11:36 AM

Liked 4,673 Times in 1,599 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CajunBass View Post
They knew all that when they signed up to join the outfit.
Caj's comment is representative of cynicism regarding the job my brothers and I did and do.
And actually, it is not true. Yes, when young, like I once was, we all came on board knowing there would be difficulties. Knowing there would be challenges, but our training and experience would allow us to 'triumph over the evil'.
Yes, many of us even set out with the mental picture that we were gonna 'go forth and do good' and 'save the world', or at least our little part of it.

One finds out, especially in a very busy place like where I worked, that your intentions and efforts are minuscule compared to the task that is set before you. You find out that you are in fact, just human. You experience the loss of fellow officers killed doing what you do everyday. And you also find out that much of the public that we serve does not care one whit that the KIA officer has left behind a widow and one or more children. - They may even parrot Caj's response I quoted above. I've actually heard it.

No - us young guys did not know that when we signed on. We did not know the depths of depravity that we would get to see that is many times the human condition. We got to learn that later.

So few even come close to understanding. Perhaps because our public gets it's education on LE from the great educator - the TV and entertainment media.

Will always recall working an incredibly busy and stressful night (7p-7a), and having a bad cold on top of that, and then having to be in court at 9am.(no pay for court appearance, BTW) There was a recess and a defense attorney nudged me during it when it was apparent that I was dozing off. (imagine that...) The attorney stated 'Maybe you shouldn't BE HERE if you can't even STAY AWAKE.'

I'm not a violent or aggressive man, but I've never wanted to break anyone's nose that bad.
I wonder how many overnight shifts he'd spent dealing with the worst in his expensive, tailored suit, complete with starched shirt and cufflinks?
That encounter pretty much encapsulated the 'chasm' between those that actually do the job and those who really don't have a clue.
SWCA #2275

Last edited by Old Corp; 12-26-2012 at 01:13 PM.
The Following 8 Users Like Post: