View Single Post

Old 12-26-2012, 10:06 PM

Liked 5,242 Times in 2,483 Posts

Which vintage Trooper? There were the original Trooper .38 specials and .357s built on the same V mainspring frame as the Python, Trooper Mark IIs and Trooper Mark IIIs.

I strongly prefer the 28 over any Trooper. That shouldn’t surprise you. Look at the forum you found me on.

S&Ws displaced Colt’s V mainspring revolvers for good reason. Colt’s V mainspring revolvers went out of time from the normal wear of frequent firing. In contrast, the DA of S&Ws just got smoother.

I owned one Colt Mark II. Its DA couldn’t be made the equal of a S&W. I didn’t keep it long enough to learn how it would hold up over time.
Colt’s Mark IIIs were their 2nd failed attempt to recover market share. I haven’t owned one. You might find praise for Mark III as well as the earlier Troopers on a Colt forum

Incidentally, I wound up with my V mainspring Colt Trooper after job requirements forced me to replace my Officer’s Model .38 special’s 6 inch barrel with a 4” barrel. 6 inch barrels were stamped Officer’s Model, 4 inchers were stamped Trooper. They were the same revolver other than barrel length at the time.