View Single Post

Old 12-27-2012, 11:32 AM

Liked 6,261 Times in 2,170 Posts

Long ago, they were premium items. Right up at the top of what you could buy here in the US, on a par with Super-X. But that was back in the 1960s. I still have maybe 5 boxes of those. Its my accuracy standard with my .22 rifle, the one I've had since 1966. That was the first time I ever had enough money to actually buy different brands and shoot for accuracy. My Browning loved the stuff (and it was good with the hollowpoints, too.) I couldn't afford target ammo.

Things have changed over the years. I don't know what has happened to the brand, but you can and should test it for yourself. Buy 100 (2 boxes) of them and head out. Fire them at a real target. Then keep track of any misfires if you have them. I always had along 2 pairs of pliers. I'd then grip the bullet with one set and the case with the other. Then I'd bend the thing. The bullet smears out. Dump the powder on the nearest grass, its good fertilizer. Now look inside down at the rim. A live shell should have a colored priming compound spun into the rim so when the firing pin hits it, it crushes the compound and sets off the cartridge.

What you'll find with almost any brand is the absence of compound in the dud rounds. What many shooters have been finding is way more duds with Remington than with the other brands. CCI has been getting good reviews over the last few years. I personally prefer Federal bulk packs. Remember cost is a big factor. Federals as purchased at WalMart are the low price leader. CCI is the high price spread. They seem to have very good quality control and you pay for that.

I've even considered the idea that maybe Remington runs its machines faster than the other companies. Maybe the priming compound doesn't have the time to get to the rim, or the machine is stingy and doesn't drop any. Regardless, things do change over time. Since I found the Remingtons to be very dependable 40+ years ago, something is different today. YMMV. I'd suggest to anyone that they buy a sample of anything they want to fire and see how it works. Just don't be surprised if you get duds. And if you don't, be sure to come back here and tell us. Even the lot number might be interesting.