View Single Post

Old 12-28-2012, 12:49 AM

Liked 348 Times in 157 Posts

I think +P ammo is extremely over rated my self out of a snub nose barrel. +P ammo does kinda make since in something like a 4inch + Revolver are even a rifle. The shot barrels of a snub nose really don't give the powder the extra time it needs to get up to velocity.

Personally my EDC is a snub nose revolver my self. I have it loaded with 1 of 3 rounds 2 of which are pretty soft shooters.

Depending on when the gun was made I have found https://www.buffalobore.com/index.ph...t_detail&p=110 are wonderful loads based off the old FBI load. I have read they are not to be used in Smith and Wesson Revolvers with the micro rifling, something about the soft lead gunking up the rifle groves and then causing a over pressure. This is not a issue for me since my revolver was made in the early late 60's early 70's

The other round I typically carry is Federal Premium - Handgun Details
They shoot soft are accurate in my gun. I have also seen where they have great expansion on them.

The other round I occasionally carry is Hornady Manufacturing Company :: Ammunition :: Handgun :: Choose by Caliber :: 38 Special :: 38 Special 158 gr XTP®

Personally I like the round but I have read mixed results with testing as far as expansion goes. The bullet hits extremely hard but does not always have the velocity to expand so it can act like a FMJ round.