Thread: First gun
View Single Post

Old 12-28-2012, 08:22 AM

Liked 33 Times in 25 Posts

I will throw my thoughts in here, for what it is worth, being new to the gun world myself.

I agree with everything rraisley said. Re-read the post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rraisley View Post
A first handgun is a big decision. Do you really intend to concealed carry it? Usually, that comes after shooting handguns a while (I've shot for close to 50 years, but just got a concealed carry permit this year). Thing is, for concealed, the gun will be smaller, lighter, harder to handle and less accurate than a larger handgun. Do you intend to shoot for sport at all? Or only enough to learn to shoot your concealed gun?

Personally, I would prefer a person learn to shoot well, and be comfortable shooting (hopefully enjoy shooting), before getting a handgun for concealed carry. And their first gun might not be the best one for concealed.

For example, an M&P9 full size would make an excellent self defense weapon, but not that great for concealment. A small revolver makes a pretty good carry weapon, and is simple and easy to shoot.

Anyhow, while you /can/ get a Shield or other compact carry gun, and learn to use it well, it may or may not be the best course for you.
When I took my CCW course I shot a M&P9c and really liked it. I have since bought and EDC an M&P40c The ergonomics of the S&W M&P's is top notch, to me. What fits my hands may not fit yours, and otherwise what I like in a gun may not be what you find you like.

Though I have never shot a shield (no one can get them around here, no rentals and everyone's backlogs of orders stretch months) I have been considering a 9mm Shield for another gun.

What I would recommend, and paralleling rraisley, is to do some shooting before you get your CCW or start carrying. Go to the range, if you have one you can get to, and rent some different guns. They don't have to be ones you are really looking at, but just get an assortment. You will see that there are distinct differences in how guns feel, how they shoot, how accurate you are with them, and you will be able to better form your decision.

You want to be comfortable, confident, and proficient with your carry gun. Admittedly, I am not at the proficiency I want to be yet but I do go to the range and practice so I am getting better.

All of that having been said, the Sheilds are more compact than my M&P40c - thinner and shorter mainly, yet slightly taller. The thinner profile will conceal easier = less bulk, printing (if you pocket carry), bulging, etc.

Another gun to look at would be a Kahr K9. It is thinner, yet, than the Shield's (.90" slide for the K and .95" slide for the Shield) and has a steel frame vs. the polymer frame on the Shield = more dense = heavier = more stable shooter.

Packing firepower in smaller and lighter guns makes them exponentially harder to shoot. The other side of the equation is if you find a gun you like - shoot it a lot and get to know it real well so if you ever got caught needing it, in the mess of fear and confusion, you can pull it out and use it effectively - muscle memory. In most cases you can train yourself to shoot what you have, it might take a lot more practice and a lot more bullets (increasing the operating/learning costs), but you can get there.

Last thought - carry options. I pocket carry my Compact with a cheap pocket holster, for now. I'm a small guy (130lbs, 5'11") and my pockets bulge from my wallet and everything else. I have never had anyone question it. Look at the Crossbreed Supertuck holster for IWB carry. Someone recommended those to me and I ordered one (still a few weeks out). What is unique about them is they will allow tucking in a shirt around the belt clips. I got to looking at it and figured it was worth a shot, everyone that has them has said they are the most comfortable holsters they've ever had. I talked to my instructor last week about his - best holster he has, period.

I hope this helps some.

Last edited by gun1; 12-28-2012 at 08:25 AM.
The Following User Likes This Post: