Thread: mexican carry
View Single Post

Old 12-28-2012, 08:54 AM
SWCA Member

Liked 6,738 Times in 2,623 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eazyrhino View Post
I feel sort of dumb asking this but what is mexican carry? Any pics showing it would be cool.

Thanks and hope all had a very Merry Christmas
Joe.
Skeeter Skelton used to talk in his articles about this method. In the photos with his articles, he would wear the pistol, often a 1911, just behind the hip on the strong side. And, no, the safety on your 1911 will not mysteriously deactivate - if you don't believe me, try it! If you want, you can have it cocked and locked on an empty chamber until your are sure the safety will not deactivate.

The Mexican carry is usually used with semi autos, as the grip will hook over the belt preventing the pistol from falling down the inside of your pants. A revolver is not conducive to this mode of carry, although I have seen Mr. Skelton model this mode of carry with a Colt or Ruger Single action revolver. The problem generally with Mexican carry of a revolver is that the wider cylinder will result in the revolver dropping through and the curved grip will then not hold the revolver in position.

The "Mexican carry" cannot really be recommended these days. Its usefulness originally, if the period articles and stories are to be believed, is in its ability to throw away a gun leaving no holster for the approaching Federales (Mexican Federal Police) to find during a search.

Whether used by contrabandistas or by American law enforcement illegally in Mexico to hunt down the killer of a Border Patrolman or other "rat of the lowest order," it has pretty well outlived its usefulness as it is possible, with easy on/easy off holsters, to simply discard the holster as well. Not to mention that crossing into Mexico to hunt down a person is not really a great idea these days.

A current Google search for "Mexican carry" has a bunch of images showing the pistol in the front or appendix position. This is not the way that either Skelton or articles from an earlier period (30s to 70s) demonstrated this mode of carry.

This holsterless appendix or front mode of carry has gained some traction in recent years, probably as a "gangsta" mode of carry, although such notables as Gabe Suarez seem to promote this position as well, of course, with a holster. It is fast, but as comfortable as I am with Condition 1 for a 1911, or with the M&P or Glock, I still have reservations about the barrel pointing at "anything you are not willing to destroy," even if a current literary description of the "anything" is "junk."

Last edited by shawn mccarver; 12-28-2012 at 08:59 AM.