View Single Post

Old 12-28-2012, 09:39 AM
SWCA Member

Liked 6,738 Times in 2,623 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mossyrock View Post
Has anyone here removed the barrel lug from an L-frame and recontoured the barrel to look more like a model 19? Have pics and recommendations? I remember seeing one done several years ago, but can't find it right now. I have a custom project perculating in the back of my mind.....
I would not trust the job to anyone but Hamilton Bowen, and because I prefer the look of the old Combat Magnum Models 19/66, I e-mailed him. He said they could not take on such a project at this time.

As an aside, when the L frame was first introduced with the attendant advantages of being able to withstand more firing with Magnum rounds, I had hoped they would just offer two barrel options for the L frame when they discontinued the 19/66. The two options would have been the "Python" type full lug on the 586/686 as introduced and a standard lug barrel to give the look of the 19/66.

Like the failure to produce the 5 inch K38 or the 3 inch 19 as a standard production model, I have always felt S&W missed the boat with all of the Combat Magnum fans.

The 619/620 were great ideas, if they had only used a one-piece barrel.