View Single Post

Old 12-28-2012, 11:40 AM

Liked 165 Times in 62 Posts

alright, mpd3244, your J70559 is most likely from 1970.

but simmerdown, your gun is a disaster waiting to happen. the serial number on the grip is the official number, and it has been removed. removing the number is a crime, possessing the gun with the number removed is a crime. if i got that gun at a pawn shop, i would QUICKLY be taking it back for a refund. there are cases where the atf will allow the number to be restamped if it has been damaged, but it is extremely rare, and it would have to be accompanied by documentation to that effect for the rest of its life.

the numbers in the yoke/crane area are just soft-fitting/assembly numbers, and have absolutely no meaning after the gun leaves the factory. it is fairly common for unknowing dealers to use one of these numbers as the serial number when filling out forms, but they are meaningless numbers! when this happens, all the ensuing paperwork is totally incorrect!

your serial number has clearly been ground off! you have a hot potatoe! i am just offering you free advice for your safety and security! the batf doesn't take defaced serial numbers lightly. if you bought it recently from a reputable dealer, that might give you some SHORT window of explanation, but i would be very quickly taking that rascal BACK!

sorry for preaching, but i would hate to think you got in trouble, while asking advice on this very friendly, informative forum!!!

good luck,
ed