View Single Post

Old 12-28-2012, 03:26 PM

Liked 517 Times in 297 Posts

Just tested by removing the ejector on my Shield 40. This is a desktop test, not actual firing. The casing is held in place when the slide is fully extracted. I tried pulling the slide back hard and fast, the extractor still held the casing firm. When I released the slide, the casing went back into the chamber. Under actual firing, the slide retracts much faster that I can move it by hand.

Now this was without the magazine inserted. So the only reason I can figure why it might eject the casing is when the slide retracts, the magazine spring/follower pushes the next cartridge up, and that next cartridge knocks the casing being held in place by the extractor. I tested this theory and it works. The casing is knocked out when the next cartridge, in the mag, hits the casing. That next cartridge is moved high enough to contact the casing being held by the extractor, prior to the slide moving forward. I said knocked out, not ejected out. I would guess under firing the spent casing would fall out maybe a few inches, not the 6-8 feet when actually ejected out. I would question the last casing being ejected, when there are no more cartridges in the mag.

Bob

Last edited by robkarrob; 12-28-2012 at 03:34 PM.