View Single Post

Old 12-28-2012, 05:50 PM

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Unhappy My 10-5 "round butt" 6 inch

Does anyone know if the 5" tapered barrel ever came in a round butt configuration? I know the 4" did, though it doesn't seem in great numbers.[/QUOTE]

Actually just puttin' you on a bit. I picked up this 10-5 at a LGS in a two-fer deal as I wanted the 4-inch 33-1 he had taken in from the same customer. LGS wanted them both gone and made an offer I couldn't refuse.

The customer he got them from had modified (i.e., nearly ruined) both by modifying the grip portion of the frame on each. LGS claimed the customer had huge hands and wanted a round butt on the 10-5 and so ground the frame and had drilled the bottom of the 33-1 frame to make some sort of extended grip fit. In the process he no doubt hurt the value of ea. revolver. The LGS wouldn't even put them out in his display case. Both came to me without any grips.

A crying shame the previous owner "modified" the revolvers that way. I put a set of aftermarket square butt grips on the 10-5 that covers the modified grip portion of the frame and they fit OK with no looseness. The rest of the 10-5 is in great shape, well above 90% I'd guess as bluing shows no wear and there is no wear line on the cylinder.

Similarly I had to put a set of Pachmeyer rubber grips on the 33-1 to cover the holes drilled in the bottom of the grip frame.

The 33-1 is the 'keeper' out of the two as I really like the J frame revolvers and have been gathering dies and brass for reloading the 38 S&W.

The future of the 10-5 is up in the air for now. It doesn't take up much space but Model 10s are just not my cup of tea.

Jerry
Attached Images
File Type: jpg smith and wesson 10-5 003.jpg (93.9 KB, 137 views)
File Type: jpg smith and wesson 10-5 015.jpg (81.9 KB, 155 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF1002.jpg (44.7 KB, 122 views)