Thread: Thumb safety
View Single Post

Old 12-28-2012, 10:13 PM

Liked 31,521 Times in 5,695 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loffmar77 View Post
I'm going to purchase a M&P .40 Compact in the very near future. This will be my first handgun, I've fired many but never owned one. Everything instilled in me tells me to get the one with the thumb safety. Every gun I've ever owned has had a manual safety and every handgun I've ever fired has had one. I'm just not sure how I safe I will feel if I don't get that option.

Will I notice the saftey sticking into me if I carry on the waist at five o' clock?

Non thumb safety models are ready to fire once the round is in the chamber, correct? What prevents accidental firing? What prevents someone from unknowingly firing it" God forbid if my 5 year ever got a hold of it... (yes, it will be in a bedside safe with ammo close by in another secure device.)

...I just don't want to regret my choice, and non of the shops around here carry a thumb safety model.
Sir, do only what YOU are comfortable doing. It sounds as if you've already decided. Get the pistol with the thumb safety and train with it so that you'll have complete mastery of the firearm. Good luck - let us know what you've decided.