View Single Post

Old 12-28-2012, 10:17 PM

Liked 4,294 Times in 1,610 Posts

Nice comparison. I've owned all discussed here ( as well as a brief two week stint with a Shield.) I still own the 9c and Glock 26. IMHO, the 9c and 26 are the closest in comparison and the best suited to carry.
The 26 has a slight edge in compactness and quality of the factory trigger while the 9c has better ergonomics and lower felt recoil. (The trigger is easy to fix anyway.) Both are very nice carry guns that are more likely to be in your belt when you need them vs resting in the safe due to weight and bulk. .

FWIW, I don't think it's fair to put the 92c in the same race. While pretty, it's a brick by comparison ( as are many older design , all steel designs from 20 years ago.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastbolt View Post
While S&W calls their M&P 9c a 'compact", it's virtually the same overall size as the Glock G26 (which Glock calls a subcompact), which ism small than a G19. Don't gun company model size names and designations ... compare the actual sizes.

M&P 40c & G27 (same sizes as the equivalent 9mm models in both lines). The M&P is a bit taller at the backstrap.

I typically suggest prospective owners try to rent representative models of whatever interests them, using good quality ammunition (preferably of the type they anticipate using as an owner), and then decide for themselves.

It's one thing to handle a pistol at the gun shop counter, but it's another to feel how it acts in the hand under the actual recoil forces of live-fire.

A pistol or revolver that "feels good" in the hand when just holding it (at the counter) might take on an entirely different aspect when it's being fired. Depends on the shooter.

While I don't own a M&P 9c, I've used 3 of them belonging to other shooters. Notwithstanding the nice ergonomics and revolver-type curved trigger (which I prefer), I was pleasantly surprised by the recoil management characteristics and controllability of the 9c's compared to my pair of G26's.

If I'd known then what I knew now, I'd have bought the 9c instead of the 40c.

Try to test-fire examples of what interests you, and then decide for yourself.

Just my thoughts.