Thread: First gun
View Single Post

Old 12-29-2012, 07:22 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rraisley View Post
A first handgun is a big decision. Do you really intend to concealed carry it? Usually, that comes after shooting handguns a while (I've shot for close to 50 years, but just got a concealed carry permit this year). Thing is, for concealed, the gun will be smaller, lighter, harder to handle and less accurate than a larger handgun. Do you intend to shoot for sport at all? Or only enough to learn to shoot your concealed gun?

Personally, I would prefer a person learn to shoot well, and be comfortable shooting (hopefully enjoy shooting), before getting a handgun for concealed carry. And their first gun might not be the best one for concealed.

For example, an M&P9 full size would make an excellent self defense weapon, but not that great for concealment. A small revolver makes a pretty good carry weapon, and is simple and easy to shoot.

Anyhow, while you /can/ get a Shield or other compact carry gun, and learn to use it well, it may or may not be the best course for you.
Thanks for the input I think that's very good advice. I don't intend to go buy a gun and start carrying it around immediately. I would like to buy something that I could use for conceal later on when I got better shooting and more comfortable. I have a .22 magnum revolver and have shot a M&P .45. Those are the only 2 I've shot in years but felt fairly comfortable with both for no more than I've handled a firearm. I definitely need a lot more time before I start carrying a gun around. I'm not sure about sport shooting and haven't ever thought about it just because I've never owned many guns and never had the time to get into it. But, I need a new hobby and I like to compete so who knows.