Thread: Gun safe?
View Single Post

Old 12-29-2012, 04:57 PM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomMan View Post
And you'll be able to open the door, head down the hall, and get the kids? A fire extinguisher can be used for more than putting the fire out. Controlling it, or allowing you to maneuver/buying yourself extra time to make your escape, allowing your children/family to do the same.

I'm not going to argue about the utility of a fire extinguisher in a gun safe thread. It was merely meant to be a thinking point, keep your fire extinguisher next to your pistol, etc.

I'd ask you to try thinking about it.

-Rob
Right, it's not the place for a discussion on fire extinguishers. But since you ask, if I can't open my door because there is a fire on the other side, just having a fire extinguisher is not going to make it any safer to open. I'd probably be better off going out my window and in the window to my kids room, assuming they are not already out. I do not buy a handgun (or cell phone, or flashlight) JUST to keep next to the bed. I don't think most people do. But if I have a gun, it needs to be kept in a safe location away from curious children. That could just as easily be in the closet, or some place else, but in the very unlikely event someone broke into my house at night, I'd rather have it nearby. The fire extinguisher may be another thing to consider, but I'd sooner put them in places they are more likely to be useful, like the kitchen, by the fireplace, in the garage, etc. Like most people, I'm not buying fire extinguishers in bulk to keep all over the house. But I am likely to keep them in areas with a source of fire where they can be used before the fire gets out of control. I'm not the type of person who over prepares for every single possibility. There are just too many events to prepare for. Most importantly, we should be teaching our kids how to get out in case of a fire, and where to meet outside. We also need to teach them about firearm safety, as soon as they are able to understand, while still keeping our guns safe from accidents. And with that, I'll shut up and see about contacting FAS1 about his great looking products.

Sent from my AT100 using Tapatalk 2