View Single Post

Old 12-30-2012, 02:40 AM
US Veteran

Liked 249 Times in 118 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhde69 View Post
I have both but I have always wondered if you were just getting one. Which one? I know we are Smith and Wesson people here but does one out shine the other in some areas?
Sir, if I had to pick between the two, it would be the 28-2. I prefer its DA trigger action and shorter trigger reach. I do like the old original Troopers, though. A buddy of mine has one, and it's a good, accurate gun. It's also lighter than the N-frame Smith.

In theory, the 28 should be the more rugged, durable gun. It has simpler lockwork, a shrouded ejector rod, and a latch at the ejector rod tip, all of which the original Trooper lacks. That said, my buddy's gun, which he shoots often, hasn't developed any timing or lockup problems, and since he doesn't go around bonking people on the head with it, the ejector rod is still straight. If you've got long fingers, the old Colt is still a good choice.

The Mark III and newer Troopers, including the King Cobra, don't impress me. They're adequate guns, but not in the same class as the Highway Patrolman or the original Trooper IMHO.

Hope this helps, and Semper Fi.

Ron H.