View Single Post

Old 01-05-2013, 10:32 AM
Banned

Liked 744 Times in 355 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bshepherd View Post
45 dollars to change a watch battery? That is way high. Find a little mom and pop jewelry store or watch repair place. I think I get charged 10 Max. I could see maybe a little higher on the Tag, but it is still just a quartz watch. You are getting hosed at 45.
For a Heuer,Tissot,Citizen and the like, $45.00 is cheap if it is done correctly.Most Heuers are water resistant and to change the battery involves specialized tools and batteries, as well as changing the o rings and re vacumizing the watch in order to retain the integrity of the watch when wet or submerged.
My old Heuer 1000 black coral diver can no longer be serviced by a Heuer dealer because they no longer make replacement o rings.
Your average shopping mall jeweler has neither the tools nor the experience to change specialized watch batteries and in the rare occasion they do accept the task,should tell you that the watch is no longer water resistant at least to manufacturer's spec,will void any remaining warranty and the battery will last only a fraction of the time of the OE unit.Additionally if the watch needs repairs,most will not accept the work if a non OE battery is found in the watch.
On average I get 4 to 6 years on my Heuers,3 to 5 on Tissots and god only knows on my Casio G Shock which I wear just about every day.

Last edited by duppie; 01-05-2013 at 11:03 AM.