View Single Post

Old 01-08-2013, 06:27 PM
Banned

Liked 192 Times in 140 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis15R View Post
I've heard not to use steal cases but also heard its due to the coating on the shell. Polymer coating being ok and the lacquer coating not? Guy local to me is selling 1000 rounds for $460

You did not say what gun type or caliber. You can get away with a lot with revolvers or other manual actions.
First - let me say that I have no experience with modern steel case ammo.

However back in the 1960’s I once bought a M-1 Carbine and a couple boxes of cheap steel case ammo. I did not bother cleaning or oiling the barrel or chamber. The shells ejected fine at first. At some point they ejected shorter and shorter distance until they began hitting me. When I looked at the extractor it was obvious that the shells were ripping the edge off of the extractor.

The extractor on many such rifles is driven by a gas piston and actually pulls the shell out.

In a revolver, you eject the shells and you feel many problems. Obviously a lever action and even a bolt action has a “feel” to it.

I am not the person to ask about polymer or lacquer coating on shells but maybe my experience my have some small input value. Blowback actions can work without an extractor as you may note that a Beretta Bobcat semi auto .22 has no extractor only an ejector.

You are correct to try to research this subject.