View Single Post

Old 01-11-2013, 03:05 PM
US Veteran

Liked 19,051 Times in 6,879 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by emt14320 View Post
Now, I just need to determine if the gun could be anywhere near as old as he thinks and whether or not the price he's asking is reasonable.

Serial is 494414 and the number when i open the round chamber is 43249 and is on both the moving part and the non-moving part.
Hello and welcome to the Forum.

You have a .38 Military & Police revolver Model of 1905 with the fourth engineering changes. It probably shipped in the mid-1920s, maybe 1925. I have one a few numbers higher that shipped in February, 1926.

The stocks are definitely not original. They appear to be plastic (maybe Franzite?). The originals would have been checkered walnut with no medallion in the stock circle.

The numbers on the yoke and in the yoke cutout are assembly numbers used during the soft-fitting process before finish and serial number were applied. They have no meaning now.

The gun looks a little bit on the rough side. I think I see pitting on the cylinder and lots of the finish is gone. This is a shooter grade revolver and a reasonable price would be around $275-$300, give or take a little. At least that would be about right in my neck of the woods. In areas where these are more plentiful, it might go for less.

I hope you find this information helpful.

Jack
SWCA #2475, SWHF #318