View Single Post

Old 01-11-2013, 11:08 PM
SWCA Member

Liked 6,738 Times in 2,623 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddieE76 View Post
I was looking into getting a press, but after looking at the brass cost on brownells (9mm), bullets, primers, it seems that there is no savings? 1000 cases were $160, bullets were about $130, primers $36. Now including powder or your time we are $326. I just saw 1000 rounds of 9mm brass case, FMJ, for $305 shipped.

I suppose the brass cost is reduces once you reuse your brass for the next 1000 rounds. So, maybe that is where the savings are?

How many rounds does one need to break eve after the cost of a single stage press?

Thanks
I never found it cost effective, but then again, I never did cast my own bullets. Thus, I sold my Dillon 15 or more years ago.

That said, it is a fun hobby. There is a certain pride in loading your own and it beats the [four hundred] "fifty-seven channels and nothing on" if you will pardon the Bruce Springsteen reference which I have thoughtfully brought up-to-date by adding four hundred channels to the original fifty-seven.

Perhaps I am just an old fuddy-duddy, but I would rather read a book these days. Current read, courtesy of friend Tim Mullin, who reads more than I do: "American Agent" by Melvin Purvis. Yes, that Melvin Purvis. It is a really good book by a well educated man who certainly knows how to write. And, unlike many "journalists" today, who interview and then twist to suit for sales or commercial reasons so that the "factual account" becomes barely recognizable as such, Purvis was actually there on that dark and really cold night at Little Bohemia or that really hot, muggy night at the Biograph. Check it out. Beats reloading or TV.
The Following User Likes This Post: