View Single Post

Old 01-12-2013, 11:58 PM

Liked 17,173 Times in 2,910 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2152hq View Post
Nice 81. Almost bought one in 300Sav not too long ago.

The stock looks like it has been repaired in that area w/a slice. A piece added and matched well with the grain but you can see the verticle joint.
The top edge of the stock doesn't mate well with the receiver. The bottom edge is taking all the recoil with every shot.
It may have some bigger repair inside and needs a bit of re-inletting to reseat the rece'vr to the wood for a good fit. Fixing the crack at the same time will complete the job. Otherwise the crack will just return as the stock gets beaten hard on the lower edges again.

I like the Stith mounts on an 8 or 81. I'm not a fan of 'scopes in particular but if one shows up on one of these,,those old mounts seem to fit in for some reason.
You didn't say but you must be referring to sirguinnesses model 81. Even I just noticed that gap in the upper part of the stock, but didn't associate it with your great observation. Like when the dentist leaves a high spot on a tooth and that one tooth gets all the pressure. My 81 in .300 Savage is from 1949, too (pretty sure anyway) and that heavy a-- buttstock might have been made like a tree trunk on purpose. I prefer to get beat up by a steel butt plate on mine than have rubber on it, though. I love that scope setup on that rifle, though I'm left handed.